About US – PIEN
The Palestine Israel Ecumenical Network Inc (PIEN) is a network of Australian Christians and supporters, seeking lasting peace and justice for the people of Palestine and Israel. To achieve this purpose, the organisation will:
- Encourage and equip Australian churches to promote peace and reconciliation in Palestine and Israel, inspired by Christ’s vision for universal reconciliation;
- Educate Australian churches and the wider public on human rights issues in Palestine and Israel;
- Seek public policy change in Australia;
- Influence public opinion and advance public debate;
- Encourage theological discussion and practical action;
- Express solidarity with Palestinian Christians and with others who genuinely seek peace and justice for all Palestinians and Israelis;
- Work alongside like-minded organisations in Australia and overseas.
The network includes around 800 people people, from over eleven different denominations, across all parts of Australia as well as Australian Christian aid and development agencies working in Palestine and Israel. We were established in 2006 by church leaders who saw a particular role for Christians to advocate from a faith perspective about Palestinian human rights. We are an independent working group that has a formal relationship with the ACT Council of Churches. For more information about who we are please see our Frequently Asked Questions page.
The network is an organisational member of the Australia Palestine Advocacy Network (APAN). We strongly support and participate in APAN’s advocacy work with parliamentarians and the Australian community.
We find inspiration and direction from the Kairos Palestine document released by Palestinian Christian leaders in 2009, and Kairos’ continuing expression of Christian voices in Palestine and Israel. More details about Kairos Palestine can be found here.
The chief relationships of the network are with:
- the National Council of Churches in Australia through its international aid agency, Act for Peace;
- the World Council of Churches;
- the Christian community in Palestine and Israel;
- Australian church-related and community groups working for a just peace;
The network has a small working budget, and a part-time executive officer.
The Palestine Israel Ecumenical Network was previously known as Ecumenical Working Group for Palestine:Israel