Since 1997 the World Council of Churches has convened the World Week for Peace in Palestine Israel – to raise awareness in churches and civil society and to impress upon governments the need for new efforts to end the conflict and negotiate a settlement.
People around the world have organised church services, film screenings, public talks, Government lobbying, and incorporated prayers into liturgies into church services.
This year the World Week for Peace will be 18th – 24th September 2016, with the theme “Dismantling Barriers.”
Already, planning has begun for the World Week for Peace 2016, during which participants will organize and join in events and activities around the following three principles:
1. Praying with churches living under occupation, using a special prayer from Jerusalem and other worship resources prepared for the week.
2. Educating about actions that make for peace, and about facts on the ground that do not create peace, especially issues related to the wall.
3. Advocating with political leaders using ecumenical policies that promote peace with justice.
This year, the week’s message is that:
- It’s time for Palestinians and Israelis to share a just peace.
- It’s time for freedom from occupation.
- It’s time for equal rights.
- It’s time for the healing of wounded souls.